Friday, July 30, 2004

Siesta

Obviously the HR managers havent got it right!! Everyone knows that the best way to spend an afternoon, particularly after you have devoured 4 Rotis, is to have a nice and peaceful "power" nap. But people just dont understand this.

In my office, I notice that most people tend to lose control over their eyelids once they are back from lunch. The person sitting just outside my cabin seems the worst affected.

Just back from his lunch, the man is intently looking at his computer screen ( the screen is blank is my guess!). He has a serious face... as if he were solving a complex mathematical problem.  But every now and then, gravity beckons the eyelids. Just as they are about to oblige, the head suddenly jerks them back up.  He keeps on repeating this ritual till 4 p.m., when the tea comes. I swear that if we keep a camera running on him for 2 hours, and then watch the film in fast forward, it will seem as if he is headbanging!! I seriously doubt if he gets any work done during that time. And he is not the only one. The peon is doing it, the manager is doing it, and.......... where were we? ... Oh right... I guess I am also doing it!!

As a consultant I am worried about this serious malady. People's time is not being utilised properly. I have a suggestion to this. I think that all seats in the office should be of the pushback variety - set to recline automatically between 2-4 p.m. At 2 sharp, all lights will be shut, light music will be playing, and the seats will recline!! Ahh... that would be the perfect workplace!!

Till such time as some enterprising fellow like me takes over the HR world and changes the sleep policies of all offices, I will have to think of alternative ways to catch a shut eye...
I am thinking of emulating my idol, Mr. George Castanza, by slipping under the table of my cabin and snoring away peacefully... 
Hmm.. the space seems just enough... it will be a snug fit!!