Wednesday, June 23, 2004

Lakshya

Farhan Akhtar, in his very first film, had amply displayed his command over both the technical and the creative aspects of film making. Thus my expectations were sky high when I went in to see Lakshya. But like it has happened with so many films recently, I came out with the certain knowledge that the film could have easily been so much better. I had felt the same thing when I watched Yuva a few weeks back.

But first let me start with what I liked about the film.

1. The war scenes and army life has been depicted pretty realistically. ( I am not making statements like "very realistically"... since I have never really seen a war nor have I experienced army life)

2. The director has kept the film focussed throughout on the chief protagonists, without wavering into side plots. Even when the war is going on, there are not too many political statements made.

3. Hrithik has done remarkably well in the emotional scenes, though I cannot say the same about his goofy turn as the happy go lucky college going Karan.

4. The action scenes are absolutely mind blowing.

5. Thankfully, the reformation of the lazy and clueless Karan Shergill has not been shown to be so complete, so as to make him perfect in all things. In the second half, his failings come through, when his hurt ego keeps him from going back to Preity for a long time.

Now for the parts I was a little dissatisfied with.

1. The songs in the second half are absolutely unnecessary. I am sure that the "Kandhe Se Kandhe" song was sneaked in by Javed Akhtar.

2. The depiction of the happy go lucky Karan Shergill was unnecesarily childish. A chilled out affluent youth who is confused about his aim in life does not need to border on insanity. Most people in that age bracket are confused, but act and behave pretty normally.

3. Some scenes jar a bit, like the scene when a friend of a dead soldier gives Preity a blasting.

Even then, the film is still a treat to watch. Certainly one of the best films on army life made in India, probably slightly behind the masterful Prahaar. Also, the music of the film may not be chart topping, but you start liking the music when you see the film. Go watch the film netizens: it is definitely worth it!